Friday, July 17, 2015

Roman Heavy Artillery

Here is the last installment of this series of posts on my roman artillery. This one bellow is my heavy artillery piece, which comes in the same Zvezda Kit as my ballista, featured on the previous post.

It's considerably larger than the New Line Design's catapults I use as medium artillery, but to further differentiate it and characterize it as a "bigger weapon", I gave it a crew of 5, instead of 4, and placed it on a larger base. Also, the ammunition stones are somewhat larger than of those.

SAM_8805

SAM_8806

SAM_8807

SAM_8808

SAM_8809

SAM_8810

SAM_8811

SAM_8813

SAM_8815

To complete my range of siege and support weapons for my roman army, I purchased another Zvezda kit with several interesting items, such as the battering ram below:

SAM_8816

SAM_8817

SAM_8821
command base shown for scale

Both kits come with those wheeled wooden shields, used by troops to close in on fortified walls under cover from arrows and rocks. Note the 2 small holes on each piece, allowing the soldiers behind it to take a peek on what lies ahead.

SAM_8823

SAM_8824

Another interesting feature of this kit is the cauldron, here fixed on a frame to allow better handling. Such devices were used over the walls by defending forces to spill hot oil or the like over assaulting enemies.

SAM_8828

SAM_8825

SAM_8826

And finally, a couple ladders to climb over the fortresses walls:

SAM_8829

2 comments: