Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Judge Dredd


A small pause from Napoleonics to concentrate on another project: Judge Dredd.

I've always been a fan of the character, and the recent Dredd movie rekindled my passion for that universe, so I figured that was more than enough reason to start yet another wargame.

SAM_7110

SAM_7111

These minis are produced by Mongoose and Warlord Games. For what I understand, the partnership between those two companies involve Mongoose producing the miniatures and Warlord designing the rules.

Now, I quite like Warlord Games' rules. I already play their excelent Black Powder, for Napoleonics and Musquet gaming in general, and also like their ruleset for Roman Period - Hail Caesar - which I might start playing next year, once I get my Napoleonics' gaming in good shape.

The Game Jugde Dredd is similarly well designed, though I have yet to play a game, in paper it seems to work very well.

SAM_7112

The miniatures, on the other hand, are not so great. Quite honestly, those are among the poorlest sculpts I've ever collected, but lack of options determines that I either play them or don't play in Judge Dredd universe at all. The only other 28mm Judge Dredd minitaure I'm aware of is from Heroclix, and that sculpt scores just as low on my standards.

SAM_7113

SAM_7114

SAM_7115

SAM_7116

Precisely because the sculpts themselves are somewhat disapointing, I strugled to make them stand out with a careful and dedicated paint job. In the end, I think they look nicely enough, and I'm more pleased with them than I first thought I would be.

SAM_7119

SAM_7121

SAM_7122

SAM_7123

I purchased 2 kits to start playing the game. A Heroes of Mega City set and a Lawmaster Squadron set. These give me Judge Dredd and Judge Anderson both on foot and motorized, as well as 4 spare judges to lend to my gaming friends and/or include in play for larger actions against the savage criminals of the post-apocaliptic future.

SAM_7124

SAM_7125

SAM_7126

SAM_7127

SAM_7128


SAM_7131

SAM_7132

I also gave careful attention to the bases. I put the bikes on street basings, and the judges on foot where based (pinned) on plastic bases representing the dirty and degraded urban sites of Mega City.



SAM_7134

SAM_7135

SAM_7136

SAM_7137

SAM_7138

I intend on putting those tough fellows in action soon, and will probably be using some of my Deadzone rebels as proxies for gangsters/lawgivers-target-practice of Mega City. We will see.

*End of Transmission*



No comments:

Post a Comment